Cheers from the beautiful land of Scotland!!!
Well, I have now been here in the land of Scots going on my 5th day now and I am loving it! I have not been able to do much exploration as of yet, but tomorrow instead of classes we are having a "day out" as a team and exploring the west side of Scotland a bit...I can't wait!
My journey here was a long but simple one. The only flight I had any issue with was the one leaving from Seattle, it was delayed by an hour and 40 minutes. Luckily, the amazing Jess Lyons stayed at the airport with me instead of just dropping me at the curb so I had someone to share that extra 2 hours with almost. Thanks Jess!!! But from there, no hick-ups. Even though I was late arriving at Newark, which was still covered in snow and filled with masses of travellers, I had plenty of time to get food and sit aroud for a while before my next flight. I was even able to meet up with a couple of fellow DTSers who were on the same flight to Glasgow. I wish I could say that I was able to sleep on the overnight flight across the Atlantic, but that would be a lie. Instead, I watched 3 movies and read for a while. My favorite part of that trip though was the sunrise as we landed in Glasgow. It was a brilliant red/orange color on the horizon that faded into a deep purple speckled with stars and a half moon. I wish I had a picture to share...but alas, I do not.
Anyway, from the airport we caught a bus to the train station and hoped on the rails to West Kilbride, about 40 minutes away. Once arriving the three of us stood in the parking lot of the station just hoping that someone would be there to gather us up...and sure enough after a few minutes a tiny little car with two of the leaders from Seamill came ripping into the parking lot honking their horn and all excited...we were the first ones to arrive!!
And since then, well, mostly I've just been trying to meet everyone, there are about 20 students and about 30 staff on base so many names to remember, and trying to catch up on sleep. Jet lag is a beast!!! But \I think I am starting adjust. The castle is FREEZING so mostly I walk around with a few layers on and a cup of hot tea in my hand (though I am not a huge tea fan) and every once in a while you can find me huging a hot water pipe or resting next to a wall furnace. Being right next to the ocean, the breeze can get pretty chilly. But even with that, the views from our castle are breathe taking. On clear days you can look out across the water and see the Isle of Arran. We hope to venture over there on a ferry one of these weekends.
Anyway, I should go, I have lecture starting in about 10 minutes. I have so much to share that its hard to get it all in in such a short amount of time, but I did want to give an update. I hope to get some pictures up soon but the internet is pretty slow here, so I don't know how many I'll be able to post. But for now....Cheers!!!
1 comment:
I'm so glad that you made it safely to Scotland. Yay!!! You are finally there. I really enjoy reading your blog. make sure you update as often as possible, so we know what is going on. By the way, I'm pretty jealous you are staying in a castle. Even though it may be cold, you are living the life of old school royalty. :) I'm so wanting to know how the day out went.
Post a Comment